[cfe-dev] Status of IR vs. frontend PGO (fprofile-generate vs fprofile-instr-generate)

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 20 09:47:23 PDT 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 7:48 PM Alex Lorenz <aleksei_lorenz at apple.com>
wrote:

> As far the possible deprecation of frontend PGO, will that imply that the
> `-fprofile-instr-generate / use` options will get removed, or will they
> still be supported but will leverage IR PGO instead?

That makes sense to me, but we need to untangle the fact that
`-fprofile-instr-generate -fcoverage-mapping` is currently used for
coverage, so a simple alias isn't quite correct.

I've always wanted a single, high-level coverage flag, and I always thought
it should be spelled --coverage of -fcoverage, but that seems like it's
already taken by gcov instrumentation. =/ I guess we need to bikeshed a new
spelling.