[cfe-dev] 2021 LLVM Dev Mtg - Input Needed

Tanya Lattner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 17 14:12:53 PDT 2021

LLVM Developers,

Hello! I know everyone really loves surveys (sarcasm intended), but I could really use some input from the community about the fall 2021 LLVM Developers' Meeting. This event is typically held in October in San Jose, CA.

Survey: https://forms.gle/f5R3eb5mgu5jyvgt6 <https://forms.gle/f5R3eb5mgu5jyvgt6>

While the pandemic is not over, there is some hope on the horizon for in-person events such as conferences and possibly for fall. We did a virtual event in the fall 2020 and while it was successful in many ways, it did not replicate the benefits of an in-person event.

Planning a conference usually takes 6-9 months of preparation and dates are booked out a year in advance. We are well short of that for the fall developers’ meeting, but given my logistics team and I have many years experience working together, it is possible to still host an in-person event (most likely November and smaller) or a virtual event.

I would like to get the community’s input on what you would like to happen for fall 2021 and if the event should be in-person or virtual.
Please submit this survey by June 1st:
https://forms.gle/f5R3eb5mgu5jyvgt6 <https://forms.gle/f5R3eb5mgu5jyvgt6>

Thanks,
Tanya

Also, if you prefer not to fill out a Google Form, here the questions I asked that you can email me with the answer to. It is easier to get statistics through the Google Form, but I understand not everyone wants to use it.

Questions:

Would you attend an in-person LLVM Developers Meeting in October or November? *
The event would meet all government guidelines and restrictions. This might include: mask restrictions, distancing and attendance caps. We won't know these rules until closer to the event. There are lots of unknowns, so please answer to the best of your ability and you can give more information on the next question.
Yes
No
Maybe
Reasons why you answered about attending an in-person event
Please give us details about why you would or would not attend an in-person event.
Your answer

Would you have to travel to attend an in-person event? *
This is to give us an idea where people are coming from which probably influences their decision about attending an in-person event.
Domestic travel within the United States
International travel to the United States
Local to the Bay Area, so no major travel
Other:

If we can't have an in-person event, would you want a virtual event? *
This would be a multi-day virtual event with a mixture of live and pre-recorded parts.
Yes
No
Maybe
Reasons why you answered the previous question about a virtual event
Provide any additional details about why you answered the way you did on the previous question.
Your answer

If you wanted to give a talk, what type of event would you be willing to speak at?
Often times, traveling is a huge incentive for giving a talk. Recording a talk for a virtual event can also be a daunting task. We are trying to gauge if we have speakers for both types of events or not.
Virtual or In-Person
Only In-Person
Only Virtual