[cfe-dev] Constexpr evaluation speed

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 5 09:00:51 PST 2021

  *   Yes, cross-compiling would be another complexity of such an approach; I suppose you would probably need to separately build your "constexpr binaries" for the current machine in addition to whatever building you do for the target platform

One can easily imagine (say) Apple building an X86-hosted Clang that includes only ARM targets for building code to run on mobile devices; it would not have a native target, so building “for the current machine” would be infeasible.  Building natively for the host can only be an optimization, it can’t be the general solution.
--paulr