[cfe-dev] Constexpr evaluation speed

Balázs Benics via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 4 11:26:18 PST 2021

I don't think you can easily substitute constexpr evaluation with simply
calling a compiled counterpart. Unfortunately, they differ in semantics.
During constexpr evaluation AFAIK we should diagnose undefined behavior.
Simply substituting the constexpr evaluation with calling the binary
version would not diagnose that - assuming that we don't want to pessimize
the runtime version of the function with eg. sanitizers. The issue is the
same for optimizations. The only way you could safely do this if you could
prove that for the given input this function will not exhibit undefined
behavior. For a given value, interpretation is a way of checking this, but
for **all** possible values, it seems really tough.

How does constexpr evaluation differ from javascript evaluation in browsers?
They are doing just-in-time compilation. Maybe that is the future of
constexpr evaluation. Hal Finkel experimented with similar stuff in C++ if
I'm correct.
He might have some thoughts about this.
Could someone CC him?

David Rector via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2021.