[cfe-dev] RFC: Only change libclang.so SONAME when the ABI changes
Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 25 21:04:38 PDT 2021
I would like to propose that we only change the SONAME of libclang.so
(this is the library that contains the C API for clang) when the ABI changes.
Currently, we change the SONAME whenever we bump the major version of LLVM,
but the C API tends to not change that often.
This change will allow operating system maintainers to update the version
of libclang.so in their operating system without forcing rebuilds of
all programs that depend on it.
The steps for implementing this change would be:
- Hard-code the SONAME for libclang.so to libclang.so.13 (which is the current
- Hard-code the symbol versions to LLVM_13 (which is the current symbol version)
for all existing symbols.
- Add a test case that checks if a new symbol has been added and ensures it has
the correct symbol version.
- Add a buildbot that uses abi-compliance-checker to ensure that ABI/API does
not change unexpectedly.
- The next time the ABI of libclang.so is changed, the SOANME will be updated to
What do you think?
More information about the cfe-dev