[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Mailing List Status Update

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 24 04:19:22 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 2:29 AM Tobias Hieta via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > Well, it's not surprising that people who use Discord don't propose the use of IRC (and vice versa), but this doesn't make the community less fractured.
>
> No I am not surprised about that - but the original message I replied
> to made it seem like there was huge confusion and people where sent
> back and forth between IRC and discord and that was what I wanted to
> point out is not really happening.

"is not really happening" -- I'm on IRC every day as a moderator and
I'd say this happens on the IRC side of things at least once or twice
a week. Perhaps you meant to say it's not really happening on Discord?

I think this could be a demonstration that the culture of the
community is being impacted by the fracturing. When people come to
IRC, moderators and other users will point out that discord and the
mailing lists are places where someone can also attempt to get an
answer if they don't find it on IRC. (Telling users to ask on the
mailing lists if no one has an answer on IRC has been the status quo
since I joined the community, so this isn't a new practice.) Users
respond by saying thanks and often following that advice. It sounds
like on Discord, users who don't find an answer to their question
maybe aren't being told about the other options? If so, this is a
demonstration of *why* I'm concerned about further fracturing the
community.

~Aaron