[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Mailing List Status Update

Philip Reames via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 15 12:13:38 PDT 2021

On 6/15/21 11:15 AM, Matt P. Dziubinski via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 6/15/2021 19:41, David Blaikie wrote:
>>     When
>>     you open a page on https://llvm.discourse.group
>>     <https://llvm.discourse.group> it doesn't load (or
>>     show) the entire thread on one page by default but instead
>>     progressively
>>     loads (and unloads) partial content as you scroll along.
>>
>> Ah, yeah - which is why it hijacks the search shortcut to do a web
>> form search rather than the browser builtin. Seems to work OK - I
>> wouldn't count this as a major usability problem, at least for me.
>
> Fair enough, there's always an element of subjectivity to UX, so YMMV.
> At the same time one issue with the aforementioned hijacking is that
> is not complete, either--e.g., it doesn't support built-in search
> features like "Find Next" or "Find Previous". For users used to
> keyboard navigation this is a usability problem (especially in
> development-oriented discussions, when searching for occurrences of
> identifiers in, say, LLVM IR does come in handy).

I want to highlight the accessibility point here.  I have fairly poor
vision, and regularly consume content in modes which someone with
perfect vision might not.  The ability to blow things up, search easily
within a page, and otherwise consume content in a customizable manner
*matters* to me.  I emphasize this because I feel the point often gets
lost in tooling discussions.