[cfe-dev] Making clang work with opaque pointers

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 9 10:58:21 PDT 2021

On 9 Jul 2021, at 7:49, Aaron Ballman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 2:27 AM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Aaron - any ideas on who, if anyone, might be able to help out on
>> this?
>
> I've CCed in some folks who may be able to help (but I am not certain
> whether they've got the bandwidth or not).
>
> ~Aaron
>

>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 4:46 PM Arthur Eubanks via cfe-dev
>> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As part of the opaque pointers migration, we need to make the clang
>>> frontend not depend on PointerType's pointee type. There are a
>>> couple random places that need to be fixed up to not use
>>> PointerType::getElementType and Type::getPointerElementType(), but
>>> the biggest issue is (I believe) clang::CodeGen::Address (and
>>> LValue/RValue?).

My expectation is that `clang::CodeGen::Address` will just start
carrying an element type.  So the preparation for removing element types
should be that we pass an element type to the places that construct an
`Address` from scratch and (for now) assert that it matches the pointer
element type.

John.