[cfe-dev] [RFC] New file extension for compiling C++ for OpenCL sources

Andrzej Warzynski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 19 08:02:37 PST 2021

I think that TY_CLXX could be a bit confusing at this point. It makes no
real difference in the compiler driver at this moment (i.e. OpenCL C and
OpenCL C++ are treated identically regardless).

Separately, in the frontend driver, you can set the language to
`OpenCLCXX` based on the file extension. This way you get rid of the
need for `-cl-std=clc++` as OpenCL C++ files can be identified based on
the extension in the frontend. Basically what you do you in your patch :)

So yes, I would leave TY_CLXX out for now. [*]

As for file extensions - this change makes `-cl-std=clc++` a rather
obscure flag (for e.g. compiling *.cl files as OpenCL C++ files). I
think that what you are proposing is a great improvement, thank you!

FWIW, there is way too many flags in Options.td. Less is more :)

-Andrzej

[*] Unless I've missed something and it's actually needed.