[cfe-dev] Question about thumb2 define in clang for ARMv8

Peter Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 10 08:37:09 PST 2021

Hello,

My turn for the double post, my mail client stripped off the list on reply-all and I’d assumed it was llvm-dev. My apologies, resending back on cfe-dev

This is likely down to the default triple and CPU that clang uses.

An arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc defaults to Thumb architecture v7-A which supports Thumb2. Whereas clang defaults to Arm state and architecture v4t which does not support Thumb2.

On a relatively recent build of clang, but I think this goes back some way:
clang --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf -mthumb -march=armv7-a -dM -E - < /dev/null | grep thumb
#define __thumb2__ 1
#define __thumb__ 1

Can you give that a try?

Peter