[cfe-dev] support __attribute__((weak)) for non-primitive types

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 30 15:21:18 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 1:37 PM Andrii Nakryiko <andriin at fb.com> wrote:

> 2) Tell users that they can either include either the autogenerated
> "vmlinux.h", OR set the pragma and include normal kernel headers. But not
> both. AFAICT, the vmlinux.h file is not really version-independent --
> except that it uses the "preserve_access_index" pragma in order to allow
> field accesses to be adjusted at load-time to match the actual struct
> layout. Doesn't putting the same pragma around the normal kernel headers
> work, too?
>
> That's what we are telling users right now. And that's what users are
> complaining about. vmlinux.h is sufficiently version-independent with BPF
> CO-RE, unless some fields are removed/renamed, or you need the very latest
> new field added in more recent kernel than the one you used to generate
> vmlinux.h.
>
> I understand the problem with using only vmlinux.h. What is the complaint
users have with using *only* the kernel-internal headers, though?

Using the type definitions from normal kernel headers will have a result
which is just as version-independent, so long as you use `#pragma clang
attribute push (__attribute__((preserve_access_index)), apply_to = record)`,
right?

3) Automatically extract #defines from kernel headers (e.g. using -dD to
> print all macro-expansions) to create a new header with those values. (Or
> defines and inline functions. Or everything but struct definitions. Or
> something along those lines). Have people include that, instead.
>
> ...Although, IIUC, you want use the kernel-internal headers e.g.
> "include/linux/socket.h", not the stable "uapi" headers, e.g.
> "include/uapi/linux/socket.h". But can't those defines change arbitrarily?
> Doesn't that ruin the version-independence aspect? So, maybe you want:
>
> Yes, users often need to work with types defined in kernel-internal
> headers. You are right that internal #defines are "unstable", so users are
> usually interested in stable #defines in UAPI headers. The problem is that
> vmlinux.h is all or nothing approach, currently. If you use vmlinux.h
> (because you need internal types, not just UAPI ones), you can't include
> UAPI headers (for those #defines) anymore due to type conflicts. That's
> exactly what Yonghong is trying to solve here.

So, is the desire here to enable mixing uapi headers + vmlinux.h, or mix
kernel internal headers + vmlinux.h, or it doesn't really matter, either
one would be fine, whichever can be made to work?

> 4) Enhance BPF/CO:RE to support defines as
> compile-time-unknown/runtime-constants [at least some useful subset of
> them]. Then they too can be fixed up at BPF load-time, instead of hoping
> that the values never change.
>
> #defines are not relocatable at runtime by any means, because they are
> just arbitrary text substituted by compiler. Once Clang compiled BPF
> program into object file, there is nothing you can do about #defines used.
> I don't see any way for BPF CO-RE to do "relocatable" #defines.

In this proposal, I was imagining that the unstable values would be exposed
as globals, instead, and treated as constants at load time. (Similar to
what you're doing with CONFIG_* values, where they are unknown globals at
compile-time, and constants at load time.)

Though, the example you give is "TCP" (IPPROTO_TCP?) which *is* in the
> uapi. Maybe you do need only the stable uapi defines? In which case,
>
> 5) Create a set of modified uapi headers for use with bpf, which omits
> struct definitions, and instead has #include vmlinux.h at the top instead.
> Distribute with libbpf-dev, perhaps?
>
> That's not really a solution, rather a maintenance nightmare. It's never a
> good idea to maintain a separate copy of something that's developed by
> thousands of developers, and have hope to keep up with all the changes. If
> that's the only possible solution, then going back to status quo (making
> this user's problem and telling them no to use vmlinux.h at all) is a less
> painful way.

I meant to say that this set of modified headers could be generated, not
that you'd want to manually maintain a separate fork of it.