[cfe-dev] Cannot CMake self-hosted clang on Windows for lack of libxml2

Adrian McCarthy via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 24 10:21:39 PDT 2021

>  Could an issue please be filed about this? CMake tries hard to not break
backwards compat, though we're not perfect (and we can't fix what we're
not aware of).

I appreciate that, but I don't think this is a CMake bug.

In this instance, llvm-mt is supposed to be a cross-platform drop-in
alternative for mt.exe.  In theory, it shouldn't matter which one CMake
selects.  And, in fact, the point of a self-hosted build is to use the LLVM
tool chain.  The fact that llvm-mt's dependencies aren't met on Windows
seems like an LLVM problem, either in the tool itself or in the
documentation about how to set up the development environment.

[Rant about the near-infinite size of LLVM's "supported" configuration
space elided, for now.]