[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for clang-format making further code modifying changes

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 9 15:34:13 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Sam McCall via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm cautiously +1 on const reordering, having previously opposed it and
> been convinced.
> I think anyone who's worked on a large shared codebase both before and
> after clang-format can understand the value here, so I'll focus mostly on
> the risks and why I think they're acceptable.
>
> *Risk: *clang-format will become a grab-bag of features with no clear
> line - just anything implemented on top of its pseudo-AST.
> Clang-format's brand is low-level formatting details and I think it's
> important to preserve this. Const order fits here in users' minds. (So does
> brace addition/removal).
>
> *Risk*: The feature will break code and clang-format will no longer be
> (seen as) reliable. This can make it harder socially or technically to
> deploy, and cause real damage.
> I think we need to work hard on mitigating this:
>  - the feature needs careful design and extra scrutiny, like
> security-critical code
>  - it should be clearly and temporarily marked as experimental, with
> opt-in required
>  - it should be clearly and permanently marked as "makes assumptions about
> coding style", with opt-in required.
>  - bugs need to be thoughtfully addressed
> From what I can see MyDeveloperDay is serious about doing all of this.
>
> *Risk*: clang-format will be overtaken by the complexity of such
> features, which will outweigh the benefits (if few use them), hurting
> maintenance, causing bugs etc.
> However this isn't different from other optional features. Editing tokens
> tends to be done as a separate pass which is relatively easy to isolate
> (compared to something like supporting a new language). With complexity
> isolated, this is mostly just about how maintainers prioritize their
> time/attention, which must be left up to them.
>
> Regarding include-ordering: I think this is a valuable feature if you
> follow a coding style that allows it to be correct, and it fits well in
> clang-format's brand. However it wasn't clearly labeled to emphasize its
> caveats, and in hindsight it shouldn't have been made part of the Google
> style without further opt-in required.

Thanks for the write up! & for the record I'm pretty comfortable with what
Sam's said here. (not that I've got strong weight in clang-format
development, but to make sure my other comments on the thread aren't
treated as standing criticisms/concerns)

- Dave