[cfe-dev] [GSoC] Fixing fundamental issues in LLVM IR

George Mitenkov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 12 11:08:17 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I have created a proposal for the GSoC project "Fixing fundamental issues
in LLVM IR", focusing on the problem with compiler-introduced type punning.
It is available at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C6WLgoqoDJCTTSFGK01X8sR2sEccXV5JMabvTHlpOGE/edit?usp=sharing

It would be great to hear any comments or suggestions!

Meanwhile, I have a question regarding the lowering of std::byte to i8 in
when going from Clang to LLVM. I have seen that in standard library it is
defined as enum class : unsigned char (
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/libcxx/include/cstddef#L87).
I suppose that std::byte lowering may then have some different properties.
I have compiled a simple test program that uses it to LLVM IR, but it looks
like standard i8 with operations wrapped into function calls. I am
wondering if there is something more in this?

Thanks,
George