[cfe-dev] RFC: Fortran optoins in Clang

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 8 14:26:17 PDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 07:28:10PM +0100, Andrzej Warzynski wrote:
> Hi Joerg,
>
> On 08/04/2021 17:44, Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev wrote:
> >
> > I think warning and codegen options should be claimed only if the
> > corresponding language frontend is actually active. I think we have some
> > existing cases for that with Objective-C and C++ interaction. So just
> > extend that?
>
> What do you mean by "active"?

If there is a source file using that frontend, it is active. Either due
to implicit derivation from the extension or explicit -x option.

> Unlike Objective-C and C++, Flang's frontend is implemented in a different
> sub-project. Also, AFAIK, there's no concept of active/inactive frontend in
> the compiler driver.

Not that relevant, since the former two are using a different (internal)
progress too. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm moderately sure we have
such options already.

> Perhaps you meant "Clang, the frontend and the frontend driver"? I'm
> referring to "Clang, the compiler driver" :) I should've made that clearer
> first time round.

I'm talking about clang the driver, not the -cc1 or -cc1as backend
process.

Joerg