[cfe-dev] [AST] Function redeclaration: parameter decl isn't redecl of same parameter of redecl'd function

Whisperity via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 11 11:02:05 PDT 2020

Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. I get parts of the explanation. Not sure if
I agree with the reasoning, but I understand it. Let me put my issue
into a bit more concrete context.

I'm working on a method (or "tool") that deals a whole lot of heavy
lifting with attributes. There are some iterative things going on and
this tool invoked multiple times, so using some sort of knowledge
store between invocations is inevitable. Semantically, the code itself
is a perfect place for this.

We have something called "InheritableAttr"s and
"InheritableParamAttr"s, which in the definition file (Attr.td, lines
554 and 585, YMMV) say, respectively.

/// An inheritable attribute is inherited by later redeclarations.

/// An inheritable parameter attribute is inherited by later
/// redeclarations, even when it's written on a parameter.

Now, suppose, I write the following, where "fancy" is one such
inheritable attr, and I quote, "even when it's written on a
parameter", and let's expand the previous example.
(Unfortunately, it also says ">later< redeclarations"...)
For the sake of this argument, imagine "fanciness" to be some sort of
an opaque property. It could be a type invariant, it could be a
lifetime bind, it could be some proprietary ABI magic. (Speaking of
lifetime bind, I'm adding Gábor Horváth to the direct To:, maybe you
got an idea on how to deal with this?)

void foobar( [[fancy]] int x);
void blabla(int y);

// Obviously forward declarations might reside in a header file,
separate from the functions' definitions, etc. etc.

int test1() {
  foobar( ... ); // call expr binds to parameter of forward decl, I
know it is fancy
  blabla( ... ); // call expr binds to parameter of forward decl, I do
not know it is fancy
}

void foobar( /* inherited [[fancy]] */ int x) { ... }
void blabla( [[fancy]] int y) { ... }

int test2() {
  foobar( ... ); // I know it is fancy because inheritence, even
though it's a distinct node
  blabla( ... ); // call expr binds to parameter of *definition node*,
now I know it is fancy
}

Unfortunately, I need to know in both calls to blabla() that the
parameter is deemed "fancy".
Outside of this case, simply always "annotating" the canonical
declaration seems to be a good way forward, but this breaks for
parameters due to the aforementioned problem.

Due to the knowledge of "fanciness" required at all usage points (aka
call sites where arguments are passed) I need to have this information
in a common place (naturally the header which, thanks to inheriting
the attribute, will afflict the definition node too).
This is the formal part.

However, because people are people, the knowledge, or rather the fact
that the declaration is "fancy" (even if "formally" inherited) should
be appropriately visible at the definition node. (This is a big bummer
with C++ that you can define "out of line", but we work with what's
given.) This is more so for code comprehension and accountability
purposes.

Unfortunately, even the "formally" required part is broken, because
registering "fanciness" for the target of the call (which are
different nodes for the calls in test1() and test2(), and due to no
link through canonicalness, distinct!) is not a good way forward.

Perhaps you, or someone from the list, has a hunch of how I should move forward?
I mean... naturally, I have my own ideas, of simply registering, for
the Redecl chain of the same overload, "equivalence classes" of
parameters that are, one way or another (from my perspective),
"related", and then simply making sure that the knowledge is saved in
sync to "both" (or rather, "all") places.

I am just surprised this (at least AFAIK) has never come up before.
I instinctively "feel like" that it should not be my (tool's)
responsibility to build additional data structures for this problem,
this "relatedness" should be apparent without having to jump the hoops
of getting which indexth the current ParmVarDecl in my hand is,
finding the parent function, finding its CanonicalDecl (or other
redeclaration), and selecting the same indexth parameter, which is now
a different, as as you explained, sort-of "unrelated" node.

David Rector <davrecthreads at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. aug.
17., H, 19:58):