[cfe-dev] Unknown attributes in clang

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 12:41:43 PDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:32 PM Vassil Vassilev <v.g.vassilev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
>    Thanks for your answers!
>
> On 10/11/20 8:44 PM, Aaron Ballman wrote:

> >> Does the answer change if we restrict ourselves only to C++ [[attributes]]
> >> matching the grammar in dcl.attr.grammar?
> > It would be pretty unfortunate if we only retain some kinds of unknown
> > attributes and not others.
> >
> > However, I think it makes the problem easier because at least the
> > appertainment rules are clear in that case. However, the way we
> > represent semantic attribute arguments in the AST may be insufficient
> > for handling generic C++ [[attributes]]. We currently parse the
> > arguments based on information from Attr.td and then attach them as
> > members of the semantic attribute object, but in this scenario, we'd
> > have no idea what to parse or how to represent it in the AST. For
> > instance, the gsl::suppress attribute supported by Microsoft takes an
> > argument we can't currently represent, like:
> > [[gsl::suppress(pro.type.1)]]. For unknown attributes, I think we'd
> > have to parse token soup and retain the tokens themselves as part of
> > the AST representation, so a later consumer could do their own parsing
> > of the arguments (which could get awkward in some cases, I would
> > guess).
>

>    If we want to go the token stream direction would the implementation
> be reasonably straight-forwards wrt Attr.td?

It's probably not trivial because the parser currently tries to do
actual parsing of those tokens, but it also shouldn't be too awful
either. For the case of an unknown attribute, you'd have to enter a
different parsing path where you grab tokens from the stream
(balancing them) until getting to the end of the argument list and
then pass the container of those tokens to create the parsed unknown
attribute. That will involve a bit of boilerplate (you'd need a new
factory method for making one of these), but there should be examples
of how to do that for other attributes with custom parsing needs. In
terms of what happens in Attr.td, you'd mostly need to add the
definition for the semantic attribute representing an unknown
attribute.

> > I think my preference is to put effort into the attribute plugin
> > system so that it's easy for downstream consumers of the Clang AST to
> > add attributes they know about to the frontend. This would include
> > things like custom argument parsing, adding novel semantic attributes
> > to the AST, etc. We're not quite there yet, but I think that approach
> > will result in a better user experience because the plugins can
> > provide better diagnostic support than we could do with a generic
> > solution. That said, I still think there may be value in retaining
> > some generic best-effort information about unknown attributes in the
> > AST -- e.g., the syntax used, the spelling of the attribute, a source
> > range for where the argument list (if any) can be found. We'd have to
> > be clear that this approach is a best-effort and that users should
> > prefer using a plugin for "serious" attribute support, but this would
> > at least retain enough information to be able to pretty print the
> > source code back out for the user.
>

>    I did not know that clang plugins are capable of doing that. That
> would be very useful for consumers.

Yeah, I'm really excited about the plugin feature -- it's newer, so
it's not as well known, and I'm sure there will be improvements that
need to be made. But overall, I think this is the direction we really
want people to go when doing heavy-lifting using attributes.

~Aaron