[cfe-dev] How to determine whether two instructions access the same variable in binary

x visitor via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 11 23:03:19 PST 2020

Hello,

I'm trying to trace the variable access sequence from a binary.

I tried to list all possible way compilers assign variables to registers, and found
it's so challenging. There're so many optimization techniques in compiler writing
such as SSA, and compilers are so free to handle variables between registers.

Then I rethink the goal and realize that the key is to determine whether two
instructions access the same variable (or say object). It sounds like an alias analysis
technique in binary is needed. I got that alias analysis aiming at source code is an
active research field but found almost nothing for binary analysis.

Are there any materials about alias analysis in binary? Or any other hint for tracing
variable access sequence in binary?