[cfe-dev] C++20 Modules, PCM files encoding implementation

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 13:45:50 PST 2020

I don't think anyone's actively looking at this right now - perhaps
partly because there's still significant benefit to separating the
interface and implementation, even when using modules (no extraneous
rebuilds when you change the implementation - even if that rebuild
only rebuilds the interface and then you have a hash (rather than
timestamp) based build system that finds the interface to be identical
and so nothing else downstream is touched). Also at least with Clang's
model, I think the idea is to build the object file from the pcm
rather than from the cppm file. Though the possibility of having two
output files has some potential benefits, to be sure - I /think/ maybe
MSVC is doing something more like that two file model, but I don't
know for sure.