[cfe-dev] Suppress secondary diagnostics for typo correction

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 2 10:09:36 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 2:52 AM Haojian Wu <hokein at google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies. They are all useful.
>
> A major goal of Clang's diagnostic experience is that if a fixit is
>> suggested (such as a typo correction) then subsequent errors are exactly
>> as-if the fixit had been applied. It sounds like your suggestion would go
>> counter to that?
>

> Thanks. I didn't notice that this is a clang goal for recovery. At the
> same time, this would mean we can't tell the difference from ASTs for
> non-typo-correct & typo-correct code because they are exactly the same.

Yep

> Speaking of clangd, I should have given more information on why we want to
> suppress secondary diagnostics:
>   - the provided case is from a bug report, and we have user complaints
> about it, see https://github.com/clangd/clangd/issues/547
>   - the idea of the "first" and "secondary" diagnostics is UI-specific,
> most LSP clients just group all diagnostics together, which makes the
> "first" diagnostic less obvious to users. The tricky case here is that we
> have multiple diagnostics with fix-its at the *same* position -- different
> LSP clients have different behavior, and they are suboptimal :(
>      - vscode -- the quick-fix prompt-up widget just shows fix-it text,
> and there is no way to see which diagnostic does the fix-it fix
>      - neovim builtin lsp -- this is worse, the typo-correct "did you mean
> free" diag is emitted on the "void free()" line rathan than "if (!force)"
> line

Any chance of improving the consumers here? Alternatively/also, perhaps a
general workaround/solution to clangd that strips fixits if they're at the
same position?

>   - applying fix-its in interactive environments requires user
> confirmations, offering somewhat-speculative diagnostics nearby is a
> relatively worse tradeoff

Not quite sure I follow this one - applying fix-its in a command line
compiler situation requires user interaction too. You mean some editors
automatically prompt for application of fixits as soon as they're
generated? Rather than the user, say, right-clicking and asking to apply
them?

Yeah, that would create a very different bar for fixits, I think. I'd
potentially argue that that might not be a great editor default (like
clang's -fixit isn't the default, but can be opted into).

>   - recompiling code in clangd is usually fast -- we have preamble
> optimization, and fix-its usually don't touch preamble region
>
> Agree that we should improve the typo-correction heuristics, "force/free"
> is a bad typo-correction. I will try to see what I can do to make it better
> with some reasonable amount of work.
>
> Regarding confidence levels of typo-correction, how about having two
> thresholds T1, T2:
>  - 0 < match < T1: suggest and recover (the current one is
> EditDistance/(length + 2) <= 1/3)
>  - T1 < match < T2: suggest but don't recover
>  - match > T2: don't suggest
>
> And we can pick different values for clang vs clangd, we can turn the
> recover off by setting T1 = T2.

I'd still be pretty hesitant to encourage/support the direction of turning
off typo correction recovery (though I guess you mean "by setting T1 = 0",
right?) but not fundamentally problematic to demote all the typo correction
to note fixits - why not all fixits, then? Is there something specifically
about spelling fixits that make them different from other fixits? Perhaps
today, given the not-so-great edit distance calculation, the false positive
rate for typo corrections may be too high and so even at low values of T1
there are still too many suspect typo corrections compared to other more
manually implemented non-typo fixits.