[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Global vs Local null-pointer dereferencing?

Valeriy Savchenko via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 26 08:29:28 PDT 2020

It is expected.  Global variables are infamous for being extremely hard to analyze statically.  Clang static analyser is no exception.  Basically it analyzes functions independently (inlining some of the calls), and this model doesn’t allow it to reason about global variables.  It doesn’t know when foo is called because maybe some other function have already modified x.  Even if we put direct assignment x = 0 into foo, it is still hard to reason about.  Any call to another function is a potential modification of x.

I hope that answers you question!

-Valeriy Savchenko