[cfe-dev] RFC: Release process changes

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 22 04:57:18 PDT 2020

Thanks Tom,

This sounds great.  Two minor comments:

On 21/05/2020 19:59, Tom Stellard via cfe-dev wrote:

> ** Create a time-based bug-fix release schedule.  After each major release, make
>     a new bug-fix release every 2 weeks for 12 weeks (6 releases total).

Presumably that's a maximum time delay?  If there are no bugs with
simple back-portable fixes found in a two-week window, I hope the
release manager isn't required to do an N.M+1 that is identical to N.M
except for the version number?

> * Before RC2: Patches should be limited to bug fixes or backend specific
>    improvements that are determined to be very safe.

It would be good to make this 'back-end or platform' rather than just
'back-end'.  If there is a small tweak that is going to be added as a
patch by the downstream package maintainer for a given platform, it's
probably a good idea to have it in the upstream repository.

David