[cfe-dev] RFC: Release qualification criteria

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 21 11:59:35 PDT 2020

Hi,

I'm splitting this discussion off of my RFC for release process
changes.

We currently have no official release qualification criteria.  In
other words, we don't have any blocking tests that need to pass in
order to make a new release.

We do time-based releases, which is not always compatible with having
quality-based criteria for tagging a final release.  So, I think another
way to look at this issue is to talk about what kinds of CI testing we
have for trunk and if there are any additional kinds of
testing (e.g. compile-time performance) that we want to prioritize.

So, for the purposes of this discussion, I see 2 main questions:

1. Should we define some set of blocking tests that need to pass before a release
   can happen?

2. What gaps do we currently have in our CI testing?