[cfe-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming proposed change to .dia format from Swift

Owen Voorhees via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 21 10:01:26 PDT 2020

Yes, I think if and when web URLs start shipping attached to diagnostics it’s important to have some kind of system in place to check for outdated links. Since URLs will likely be associated with diagnostic IDs using TableGen or some other structured format, I don’t think it would be too difficult to put together a tool to scan for them and check they’re still working.

To give some context, right now Swift exclusively links to documentation installed locally from its diagnostics, and I expect it to stay that way for the foreseeable future. Part of the reason for that was to avoid this exact problem.

However, I think it’s important to support any URL in the serialized format because this approach of local-only diagnostic documentation won’t necessarily adapt well to Clang (and any other compilers that use the format, though I don’t know of any). It worked well for Swift primarily because we had little-to-no existing diagnostics-related documentation. Because everything is being written from scratch, it’s been easy to enforce the requirement that it’s all organized in a central location in the toolchain, and it’s all easy to read as plaintext. On the other hand, Clang already has lots of really great documentation designed for the web, and restructuring it to ship alongside the compiler seems less likely to work well.

The way I see it, allowing any URL to appear in the serialized format gives Clang and Swift the flexibility to choose a different set of tradeoffs based on their different approaches to docs, toolchain layout, etc.. In the end, the reader of the format doesn’t need to worry about these differences, because it’s the compiler’s responsibility to produce valid links, whether that’s through shipping docs locally, enforcing it with CI jobs, or something else entirely.

- Owen