[cfe-dev] [analyzer][tooling] Analyzer architecture

Endre Fülöp via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 11 01:32:53 PDT 2020

Hi,

Thanks for the insight. It could definitely open new horizons if we could distribute AST manipulation in a map-reduce fashion.

I would just like to point out, that on IR level, the workflow introduced is definitely worthwhile to consider, because the edits
in that case is just inlining IR instructions at callsites. While there may arise some difficulties there (I am just making assumptions as
I am no expert in IR or CodeGen), (almost-) context-insensitivity helps a lot. In case of ASTs however one function node can contain references to
other nodes all around the TU. It is not trivial to inline a function, ASTImporter library does exactly this, and It works by importing the function
itself and all of its dependent declaration and types. This lead to the consideration, that TUDecls should be the atomic units of CTU.

I am still not fully aware of the implications of these arguments on the architecture you mentioned, but I will be investigating, and any discussion is welcome on my part.

Cheers,
Endre