[cfe-dev] [GSoC] Interested in idea: "Find null smart pointer dereferences with the Static Analyzer"

Nithin Vadukkumchery Rajendrakumar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 20 09:56:44 PDT 2020

Hello Artem,

I went through the checkers you suggested. I found this project
seems interesting to me and I got a very basic idea about it.

I tried to find out few cases where unique_ptr::operator->() returns null
apart from default constructed unique_ptr.
*Case 1: *Use of std::move on std::unique_ptr
It seems its already covered in the MoveChecker.
*Case 2:* Use after calling release() on std::unique_ptr
When I ran the analyzer for this scenario, it did produce any warnings
*Case 3: *Use up.reset() or up.reset(nullptr)
Similar to release() case it seems this case also not covered.
*Case 4:*  Get raw pointer via std::unique_ptr.get() then delete
I am not sure about this case. It seems user explicitly trying to break the
code.
*Case 5:* Use after swap(std::unique_ptr, null)
In case we swap a std::unique_ptr with another std::unique_ptr with
pointing null.

I am guessing the list is not complete and this will be a first task, to
figure out all possible cases.
And some what same we have to come up with for other smart pointers.

Regarding the implementation part, similar to move checker we have to keep
a map for memory region and state (whether it is null or not).
States should be updated based on the changes in MemRegion. I was wondering
is this the right way? (I know I still have to figure out lot of details
regarding concrete implementations)
In case of default-constructed std::unique_ptr object, why can't we get
symbolic value as null and do a check same as what we are doing for raw
pointer?
Is it because some limitations on tracking the symbolic values
of std::unique_ptr objects?

----
Thanks & Regards,
Nithin