[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 17 06:40:44 PDT 2020

On 03/17/2020 03:11 AM, Florian Hahn wrote:

>> On Mar 17, 2020, at 03:06, Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/16/2020 10:13 AM, Florian Hahn wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Does this include sending emails for new bugs to llvm-bugs like bugzilla does? I am not sure how many people use llvm-bugs, but at least for me it is how I keep up with new bug reports.
>>>

>> Sending email to llvm-bugs was not planned.  Can you use GitHub notifications instead?
>

> I do not have much experience with Github issues, so there might be an easy way to get notifications for new issues only I am not aware of. If that’s possible I guess that would work too. But IMO it would be great if we could keep llvm-bugs alive and working for Github issues as well, to smoothen the transition and to ensure that no issues fall through the cracks. A side benefit of having the emails is that they are easy to view offline & on mobile/search/organize.
>
> Is there any information available for the notification system you mentioned earlier? The default GitHub notifications for llvm-project seem extremely verbose: notification in Github UI for each new issue as well as each interaction on an issue/PR/commit. Assuming 100+ interactions per day on bugzilla, I think it will be very hard to keep up with the notifications.

The notification system I implemented works using GitHub teams and issue
labels.  If you want to subscribe to a tag, you join a team and then that
team will get @mentioned when that tag is added to an issue.  The mention
will subscribe you to the bug and notify you of future updates.

> I think it would help with the transition if we would have a document describing how to migrate common issue interactions, like
> * how to get (email) notifications for a single issue (CC on bugzilla)

Ok, I will work on this.

> * how to get (email) notifications for new issues only (current llvm-bugs)

Does llvm-bugs really only send notifications for new issues?  It doesn't
look that way from the mail archives.  e.g. http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-bugs/2020-March/082017.html

-Tom