[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Hubert Tong via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 16 07:59:30 PDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:44 AM Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
> > Hi,
> >
> > 10.0.0-rc4 was just released, and I think we are at the point in the
> release cycle
> > where it is safe to begin the migration to GitHub issues.
> >
> > I would like to propose doing the migration in one week (March 23).
> This means
> > making the existing bugzilla read-only, and updating the documentation
> to tell users
> > to file issues at GitHub.  We are still trying to figure out the best
> way to import bugs
> > from bugzilla into GitHub, so this step will be done at a later date.
> >
> > For the initial list of tags, I propose we generate the list based on
> the most commonly
> > used categories in bugzilla.  This should be enough to get us started
> and we can always
> > add more tags as we go.
> >
> > I've also implemented a notification system using GitHub actions that
> will make
> > it possible to subscribe to individual issue tags, so we would enable
> this on Monday
> > as well.
> >
> > What does everyone think?
>
> I am uncomfortable switching to GitHub issues unless the initial
> result is that we have ONE set of bugs to track (I do not want to have
> to search and maintain separate bug lists). Moving bugs from Bugzilla
> at an unspecified future time is a deal-breaker for me, so -1.

Further to Aaron's point, do we have a recommended conventions (e.g.,
llvm/llvm-project#1 or something less verbose) for referring to issues on
GitHub (from code, from commit messages, from other bug reports, etc.) in a
manner that is unambiguous with the convention used to refer to Bugzilla
bugs? Have we documented said conventions in the appropriate places? In
particular, we should discourage use of conventions where Bugzilla bugs
result in links to non-corresponding GitHub issues.