[cfe-dev] [GSoC] Interested in idea: "Find null smart pointer dereferences with the Static Analyzer"

Nithin Vadukkumchery Rajendrakumar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 7 04:40:50 PST 2020

Greetings,

I am interested to participate in GSoC 2020. I am particularly interested
in the project idea "Find null smart pointer dereferences with the Static
Analyzer". I am doing my masters in computer science and interested in
program analysis and verification. I thought GSoC2020 will be a wonderful
opportunity to learn more about Clang Static Analyzer and contribute.

I have started reading about smart pointers in C++ to get a good grasp of
the concepts. Also, has some experience in implementing Clang Static
Analyzer simple checks(similar to SimpleStreamChecker) from the tutorials.
I read through few available tutorials and have some basic idea about Control
Flow Graph, Exploded Graph and Symbolic Values. I have read the paper "A
memory model for static analysis of C programs" to get some theoretical
background. I also started looking into NullabilityChecker.cpp
<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/lib/StaticAnalyzer/Checkers/NullabilityChecker.cpp>
understand the codebase.

I would like to know is this the right place to look?

Could anyone please help me on what should I do next?

----
Thanks & Regards,
Nithin