[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator Maintenance

Zachary Turner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 25 02:21:35 PDT 2020

I can’t really provide a doc, but i can describe what I believe to be the
biggest problem.

In a GH PR, comments are associated with commit hashes.  If a commit hash
ceases to exist, so do all comments associated with it.  The comments are
quite literally destroyed and irretrievable.

What this means for LLVM is that everyone will have to completely stop
using history rewriting operations.  No more rebase, squash, amend, etc.

A common theme in LLVM development is carefully curating patch histories
for easy reviewability.  For example, someone might tell you to split a
patch up into two patches and have them reviewed separately.  If there are
dependent changes between the two, you have to choices:

1. You can split this into two commits on a single branch.
2. You can make 2 branches A and B, with B based off A.  Request a PR from
A into master and B into A.

If you do 1 and someone requests changes on A, you cannot rebase -i your
fixes so that they still appear in the diff for A, because that destroys
comments.

If you do 2 and someone requests changes on A, you then have to merge (not
rebase) those changes into B.  The problem is compounded the more pieces
you have to split your patch into and it becomes quite a maintenance
headache.

IMO, switching to GH PRs means abandoning LLVMs philosophy on incremental
development for the above reason.

One more interesting quirk of GitHub PR:  it is actually impossible to make
a comment on lines in a PR that aren’t changed as part of the PR (eg
surrounding code).  See
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/284 which has been open a very long
time