[cfe-dev] Disable certain llvm optimizations at clang frontend

Johannes Doerfert via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 13:00:11 PDT 2020

General comment after reading most of the thread:

I guess there are two opposing ways to approach this:

     1) try to "preserve" the restrictions assuming the input is valid, or

     2) try to enforce the restrictions at the end of the pipeline,
i.a., legalize the IR.

I would strongly recommend 2) if at all possible.

One way would be:

Run normally, try to legalize with approximation of the requirements.

If the legalization fails report it to the user.

Maybe fail and force the user to lower optimization level, or
automatically do so.

The thing is, any form of IR annotation that is semantic bearing needs
to be known to a lot of places and a lot of places do similar things.

Disabling some concept like "code motion" is not only affecting various
places but also a grey area wrt. the definition of "code motion".

This will be the same for any "transformation", I expect at least.

Cheers,

   Johannes