[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Regression testing for the static analyzer

Valeriy Savchenko via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 15 06:05:22 PDT 2020

First of all, thank you a lot for engaging in this conversation, sharing your ideas, and, of course, for your kind words :-)

>> Huge +1. Actually, I'd be even glad to see more extremes like running the analyzer multiple times making sure that the number of exploded graphs and other statistics are stable to avoid introducing non-deterministic behavior.
> This one's not just about nondeterminism, it's also about reproducibility across machines with different systems and system headers. Like you'll be able to say "hey we broke something in our docker tests, take a look" and you'll no longer need to extract and send to me a preprocessed file. That's a lot if we try to collectively keep an eye on the effects of our changes on a single benchmark (or even if you have your own benchmark it's easy to share the project config because it's basically just a link to the project on github).

Yes, and yes!  I thought about running the analyzer multiple times on one project for benchmarking.  In that mode we can also check for variations in stats between seemingly identical runs.
Sharing is probably the best part of this approach.

>> Dependencies are the bane of C++ at the moment. I'd love to see some other solutions for this problem. Some of them coming to my mind:
>> * Piggy backing on the source repositories of linux distributions. We could easily install all the build dependencies using the package manager automatically. The user would only need to specify the name of the source package, the rest could be automated without having to manually search for the names of the dependent packages.
>> * Supporting C++ package managers. There is Conan, vcpkg and some CMake based. We could use a base docker image that already has these installed.

Unfortunately, package managers could not be a solution across different platforms if we need reproducible results, one of the Conan’s main features is downloading packages appropriate for the current user setup pretty seemingly and consistently across different setups.  However it means that they are still different.

>> We could use a base docker image that already has these installed.

This is probably a good solution, but I didn’t have problem to build natively in docker so far.

>> While I think this is a great idea we also should not forget that the tested projects should exercise the right parts of the analyzer. For instance, a patch adding exception support should be tested on projects that are using exceptions extensively. Having a static set of projects will not solve this problem. Nevertheless, this is something that is far less important to solve. First, we need something that is very close to what you proposed.

I do agree, it should be definitely on a roadmap.  I also planned to have a tag system for projects, like “tiny”, “math”, “C++14”, “web”, and so on.  It is not exactly what you have in mind, but I think it could be a good first step in that direction.

>> How long do we want to retain Python 2 compatibility? I'm all in favor of not supporting it for long (or at all).
> As far as i understand we've still not "officially" transitioned to python3 in llvm. I don't think it actually matters for these scripts; it's not like they're run every day on an ancient buildbot that still doesn't have python3 (in fact as of now i don't think anybody uses them at all except us) but it sounds like in any case the only script that really needs to be python2 up to all possible formal requirements is `SATest.py` itself which is a trivial wrapper that parses some arguments and forwards them into docker; for everything else there's docker and you don't care what's within it.

So, yes, as Artem said, SATest.py is the only script that is compatible with both versions.  All other parts of the system had been migrated to Python 3.

>> I think one very important feature is to collect/compare not only the analysis results but more fine-grained information like the statistics emitted by the analyzer (number of refuted reports in case of refutation, number of exploded nodes, and so on).
>> It would be nice to be able to retrieve anything crash-related like call stacks and have an easy way to ssh into the docker image to debug the crash within the image.
>> Also, the csa-testbench has a feature to define regular expressions and collect the matching lines of the analyzer output. This can be useful to count/collect log messages.

The usability of this system is probably the main point for me, so the ease of debugging should be the priority.  I already introduced a `—shell` option that provides an easy way to ssh into a docker without thinking too much about docker nature of things (if container is not running and how to clean it up afterwards).  And I believe pattern-matching certain erroneous situations and making a short summary out of those can be a really good feature.

>> While I see the value of having a minimal interface I wonder if it will be a bit limiting to the power users in the end (see extracting statistics and logs based on regexp).,
> I think it's totally worth it to have both. When a newcomer tries to test their first checker there's nothing better than a simple one-liner that we can tell them to run. But on the other hand having fine-grained commands for controlling every step of the process is absolutely empowering and not going anywhere.

It’s exactly right.  I believe that with a set of very reasonable defaults it can be achieved.  All additional tweaking should be probably categorized and put into README.

>> While I do my best to contribute non-breaking code, the tedious process of jumping on the company VPN, finding the appropriate server that isn't under heavy load to run an analysis that is thorough enough sometimes leaves me to commit seemingly miscellaneous patches after only running check-clang-analysis, which on occasions comes to bite back.

Yeah, it’s hard to predict sometimes what can be broken on a real code.  And if it is pretty scary to make changes for experienced users, what can be said about newcomers.

>> side effects on other platforms

It is pretty hard to avoid those, I guess we’ll have to keep our separate CI setups for that, but at least we’ll be able to get rid of the majority of issues common across platforms.