[cfe-dev] [RFC] Refactor Clang: move frontend/driver/diagnostics code to LLVM

Andrzej Warzynski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 11 01:21:47 PDT 2020

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your feedback. Comments inline.

On 10/06/2020 12:04, Sam McCall wrote:
> It's important that we can still do the equivalent of today's
> clang::createInvocationFromCommandLine without a flang dependency though.

Noted, I'll keep this in mind!

>     1a. Generalize SourceManager so that it's suitable for both Clang
>     and Flang
>
>     1b. Move the updated SourceManager, together with SLocEntry,
>
> I'm less sold on this. Clang's SourceManager has a *very complicated
> API* for its conceptual job, to the point that understanding
> SourceLocations and how to use them is a barrier comparable to
> understanding the C++ AST for inexperienced tool developers.
I'm clearly underestimating this! I need to dive a bit deeper first and
then probably will ask a lot of detailed follow-up questions. Again,
noted, I'll keep this in mind! Once we have a working prototype for this
we'll send a dedicated RFC (we aim for the summer months).

Thank you!

-Andrzej