[cfe-dev] Smart Pointer Lifetime Optimizations

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 8 00:21:53 PDT 2020

On 7 Jun 2020, at 18:52, Zoe Carver wrote:
> John, sorry for my delayed response.
>

> *> Can you explain in more detail which destructor you think you can
> eliminate?*
>

> In the Godbolt link in my original post, there are two unique_ptrs, %3
> and %
> 4. They are both passed to the move constructor (as the source and
> destination). In the move constructor, the source's held pointer is
> nulled
> out. If the next use of the pointer is the destructor (as is the case
> in
> the Godbolt example) then, the destructor will be a no-op. In the
> optimized
> code, it's a bit more difficult to see. But, the dead store is still
> there.
> Two instructions before the call to owner, null is stored into %8.
> Then, in
> the 3rd block (%17) that same pointer (%8) is loaded and compared
> against
> null (which is always true).

Yes, the destructor for the source (the local variable, as opposed to
the
temporary) is the one that you can’t eliminate without proving that a
reference to it isn’t escaped by the first call and then mutated
during the
second.

You wouldn’t be the first person to be surprised by the result of this
sort
of analysis, but I’m afraid it’s what we’re working with.

Unfortunately, there’s really no way to eliminate this one without
either
interprocedural information or language changes.  `trivial_abi`
eliminates
the other one because it changes the convention for passing by value,
but to
pass an “immutably borrowed” value in C++ we have to pass by
reference, which
allows the reference to be escaped and accessed (and even mutated, if
the
original object wasn’t declared `const`) as long as those accesses
happen
before destruction.

> *> Probably more importantly, though, we could allow unstable-ness to
> be
> detected with a type trait, and that would allow the standard library
> take advantage of it. *
>

> We could actually do this for trivial_abi types too. If we added a
> builtin
> type trait to check if a type has the trivial_abi attribute, libc++
> could
> conditionally give unique_ptr the trivial_abi attribute if its base
> type
> also had the attribute. Additionally, we could add a config macro that
> would do this globally when libc++ is in unstable ABI mode.

Hmm.  That doesn’t just fall out from any analysis I see.
`trivial_abi`
is an existing, ABI-stable attribute, so changing the ABI of
`std::unique_ptr`
for types that are already `trivial_abi` is just as much of an ABI break
as changing it in general would be.  You could try to justify it by
saying
that there just aren’t very many `trivial_abi` types yet, or that
`trivial_abi`
is a vendor-specific attribute that’s unlikely to be used on a type
with a
stable ABI because non-Clang implementations wouldn’t be able to
compile
it compatibly, but those aren’t terribly convincing arguments to me.

John.