[cfe-dev] Smart Pointer Lifetime Optimizations

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 5 13:09:29 PDT 2020

On 5 Jun 2020, at 14:45, Zoe Carver via cfe-dev wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I'm planning to do some work to add lifetime optimization passes for
> smart
> pointers and reference-counted objects. I'll use this email as a sort
> of
> proposal for what I hope to do.
>

> *Scope*
>

> As I'm developing the pass, I'm trying to keep it general and create
> utilities that could work across multiple smart pointers. But, right
> now,
> I'm focussing on unique_ptr and applying specific ownership
> optimizations to
> unique_ptr only.
>

> *unique_ptr Optimzations*
>

> The pass I'm currently developing adds a single, simple, optimization:
> constant fold the destructor based on ownership information.
> unique_ptr has
> a lot of ownership information communicated with reference semantics.
> When a
> unique_ptr is moved into another function, that function takes over
> ownership of the unique_ptr, and subsequent destructors can be
> eliminated
> (because they will be no-ops). Otherwise, branchless functions are
> often
> complicated after inlining unique_ptr's destructor so, this
> optimization
> should be fairly beneficial.
>

> unique_ptr's reset and release methods both complicate this
> optimization a
> bit. Because they are also able to transfer and remove ownership, all
> unknown instructions must be ignored. However, in the future,
> knowledge of
> those methods might be able to make the pass more robust.
>

> With unique_ptr, it's difficult to prove liveness. So, it is hard to
> constant fold the destructor call to always be there. Maybe in the
> future,
> this would be possible, though (with sufficient analysis).
>

> Last, an optimization that I hope to do is lowering the unique_ptr to
> a raw
> pointer if all lifetime paths are known. I think removing this layer
> of
> abstraction would make it easier for other optimization passes to be
> successful. Eventually, we may even be able to specialize functions
> that
> used to take a unique_ptr to now take a raw pointer, if the argument's
> lifetime was also able to be fully analyzed.
>

> *Lifetime Annotations*
>

> Right now, the pass relies on (pre-inlined) function calls to generate
> ownership information. Another approach would be to add ownership
> annotations, such as the lifetime intrinsics (i.e.
> llvm.lifetime.start).
>

> *ARC Optimizations*
>

> There are a huge number of large and small ARC optimizations already
> in
> LLVM. For unique_ptr specifically, I'm not sure these are of any
> benefit
> [...]

Unfortunately, these are not legal optimizations for your test case:

- `guaranteed` is permitted to escape a reference (or pointer) to the
   object it was passed.  Tat references and pointers remain valid
   until the object goes out of scope.

- The object can be mutated through that reference because the
underlying
   object is not `const`.  Being passed a `const` reference is not a
   semantic contract in C++.

- Through a combination of the above, the call to `owner` may change
   the value of `p`, and so the caller may not rely on it still being
   in a trivially-destructible state after that call.

- `owner` may leave the value of its parameter object in a
   non-trivially-destructible state, and under the Itanium C++ ABI,
cleaning
   up that object is the caller’s responsibility.  I agree that this
is a
   bad rule for optimization purposes, but it’s the rule.  This can
only be
   optimized with a more global, interprocedural optimization that
shifts
   responsibility to `owner` to destroy its argument.

John.