[cfe-dev] RFC: refactoring libclangDriver/libclangFrontend to share with Flang

Andrzej Warzynski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 31 06:24:30 PDT 2020

Hello,

This is a refined design of how the new Flang driver will re-use the
code currently available in Clang without depending on Clang (long-term
goal). This was initially discussed in [1]. Based on the feedback and
after a few weeks of prototyping [2] we are proposing a much smaller set
of changes. Below is detailed summary of the design and how it will
affect Clang. Your input is much appreciated!

# *SUMMARY OF CHANGES FOR CLANG*:
* Make libclangDriver independent of Clang by:
    ** Creating a higher-level, reduced interface over DiagnosticEngine
for compiler drivers to use that does not require Clang's SourceManager
    ** Lifting the TableGen backend for DiagnosticDriverKinds
* Move libclangDriver (together with the TableGen backend for
DiagnosticDriverKinds) out of Clang

# *THINGS TO RE-USE*: libclangDriver
The Flang driver (i.e. "flang"), like Clang driver (i.e. "clang"), will
be implemented in terms of libclangDriver. libclangDriver can already
distinguish between various driver modes [3], including a dedicated mode
for flang: clang::driver::Driver::FlangMode. We already use this
mechanism (via ParsedClangName [4]) to start the driver in
Driver::FlangMode (this is done inside "flang").

One of the key tasks of the driver is to parse the command line options
and translate them into Actions. This part seems re-usable as is.

Next, based on the generated Actions the driver creates jobs (i.e.
instances of clang::driver::Command). At this point (assuming that the
driver is in
Driver::FlangMode):
* a particular ToolChain/Tool is selected (for the preprocess phase [5],
the ToolChain is implemented in Flang.cpp [6] and the selected tool is
simply "flang -fc1")
* compiler driver options (e.g. options for "flang") are translated into
options for the selected tool (e.g. options for "flang -fc1" in the
preprocess phase)

The required top-level logic for this is already available in
libclangDriver [6]. Any new logic that will apply only to Flang will be
implemented in clang::driver::tools::Flang.

# *THINGS NOT TO RE-USE*: libclangFrontend
Once a job representing a call to the Flang frontend driver is
constructed and a dedicate subprocesses is created, the Flang frontend
driver (i.e. "flang -fc1") takes care of the rest.  "flang -fc1" will be:
* a seperate entity (akin "clang -cc1" [7])
* independent of libclangFrontend (and "clang -cc1")
* implemented in terms of libflangFrontend (this library will be part of
the Flang subproject)

So far the implementation of "flang -fc1" and libflangFrontend
(available in our fork [2]) have been heavily inspired by "clang -cc1"
and libclangFrontend, but otherwise are written from scratch. The Flang
frontend driver is unlikely to re-use any code from Clang's frontend
driver at this stage. This seems consistent with what people suggested
in the past (in particular, see this reply from Richard Smith [8]).

Clang's SourceManager is only really needed by DiagnosticsEngine, but
with libclangDriver limited usage of DiagnosticsEngine, we should be
able to remove the dependency on SourceManager completely. From what we
can see, libclangDriver doesn't really need it.

# *DEPENDENCIES ON CLANG*
The end goal is to have a Flang compiler driver implemented in terms of
libclangDriver that does not depend on Clang. This means extracting
libclangDriver from Clang and moving it to a separate sub-project. To
this end we have to make sure that libclangDriver no longer depends on
Clang. This is the list of dependencies that we have identified:
* DiagnosticsEngine (+DiagnotsicOptions + DiagnosticIDs +
DiagnosticConsumer)
* TableGen backend for generating error/warning definitions for
DiagnosticsEngine

Although this list is short (perhaps we missed something?), it contains
some rather complex and pervasive Clang classes that belong in
libclangBasic. Fortunately, libclangDriver uses these classes to a
rather limited extent.

DiagnosticsEngine is used by the driver to print warnings about user
errors made in the options supplied. This is rather basic usage compared
to reporting errors/warning generating by the parser or semantic
analysis (e.g. we don't care about specific locations in files, macro
expansions, etc). We propose creating a thin layer above
DiagnosticsEngine to satisfy the dependencies of libclangDriver. This
seems feasible and shouldn't be too disruptive.

The TableGen backend is required to generate DiagnosticDriverKinds.inc,
i.e. the libclangDriver specific errors/warnings. Moving the
corresponding TableGen backend out of Clang (together with
libclangDriver) seems like the most straightforward approach to this.
Any frontend specific diagnostic definitions should remain in Clang. Any
use of these within libclangDriver can be dealt with on a case-by-case
basis.

# *COMPILER DRIVER OPTIONS*
To handle Flang options we propose to:
* Use ClangFlags [9] to identify Flang options (we will add a dedicated
enum for Flang, e.g. FlangOption)
* Tweak Driver::PrintHelp [10] to only display the appropriate options
depending on the driver mode
* Add new Flang options for libClangDriver to the main DriverOptTable
[11] table, perhaps via a separate *.td file

We think this has the benefit of being simple and extending existing
interfaces. It may be worth investigating a way to make this scale out a
bit more - cf. [12] - and we propose that as a future enhancement. We
should emphasise that currently libclangDriver creates only one instance
of DriverOptTable [11] that holds all available options. In our design
this table will hold options for both Clang and Flang.

Flang will re-use many of the options already available via
libclangDriver. C and C++ specific options are also relevant. A common
pattern in HPC apps is mixed C++ and Fortran use in the same source
base. In such mixed-source cases, it is useful for the compiler driver
to be able to handle both at the same time. We will also add some new
options, but it's unlikely to be a long list. Taking gfortran as a
reference, the new options would be a very small fraction of what
libclangDriver already supports.

# *NEXT STEPS*
The proposed changes (summarized at the top) are relatively small and
will only affect libclangDriver.  We would like to start upstreaming our
patches into Flang at the same as lifting libclangDriver out of Clang
into a separate project. This means submitting some patches into Clang
while libclangDriver is still part of Clang. If the overall plan sounds
sensible then shortly we'll prepare a separate, more detailed RFC that
focuses on the usage of DiagnosticsEngine in libclangDriver.

All input appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Andrzej Warzynski
On behalf on the Arm Fortran Team