[cfe-dev] Debug info level specification with the clang driver

Fangrui Song via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 28 14:02:51 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-28, David Blaikie wrote:
>1) wire up constructor homing as a separate cc1 flag that composes
>with -debug-info-kind: does nothing except when
>-debug-info-kind=limited is specified, and then it makes limited more
>aggressive by using the constructor homing technique (yeah, this was
>the original proposed version of the patch, I think - and, looking
>back on it, given the desire to eventually fold this into limited
>anyway, maybe that was the right direction from the start)
>
>2) take out all the debug-info-kind layers above "limited" (so,
>limited, constructor, full) into a separate flag like
>"debug-info-type-kind" (maybe that name's a bit subtle - since this
>flag would not enable debug info by default, but debug-info-kind
>does/would continue to). That way existing "-debug-info-kind=limited"
>would be "-debug-info-kind=type -debug-info-type-kind=limited", for
>instance.
>
>3) ... other ideas?

2) seems to involve more design discussions:) ?
If it takes a while to reach concensus whether we should do 2), doing 1) for
-debug-info-kind=constructor seems fine: we just have last few bugs that block
folding it into limited. It is a temporary CC1 option which has very little
cost.

I have done very little debug work, so please just count my vote as +0.2 :)