[cfe-dev] [RFC] Re-use OpenCL address space attributes for SYCL

Bader, Alexey via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 20 05:22:52 PDT 2020

Hi Anastasia,

Sorry for the delay.

> > The main difference with OpenCL mode is that SYCL
> > mode (similar to other single-source GPU programming modes like
> > OpenMP/CUDA/HIP)
> > keeps "default" address space for the declaration without address space
> > attribute annotations.
>
> Just FYI in C++ mode, Clang implements default/generic address space as
> specified in embedded C (ISO/IEC TR 18037) s5.1 - 5.3.
>
> "When not specified otherwise, objects are allocated by default in a generic
> address space, which corresponds to the single address space of ISO/IEC
> 9899:1999."
>
> "Objects are allocated in one or more address spaces. A unique generic address
> space always exists. Every address space other than the generic one has a unique
> name in the form of an identifier. Address spaces other than the generic one are
> called named address spaces. An object is always completely allocated into at
> least one address space. Unless otherwise specified, objects are allocated in
> the generic address space."
>
> It feels to me this is the model you intend to follow?

After reading the document I don't see major conflicts with our SYCL
implementation.

> If you use OpenCL address
> space attributes outside of OpenCL mode there is limited logic that you will
> inherit. For example deduction of address spaces wouldn't work but conversions
> or generation to IR should work fine. It generally sounds like a viable approach
> but OpenCL however used Default (no address space) as private AS for a very long
> time and there are still a number of places where this assumption is inherent in
> the implementation. This is not entirely strange as Default is use by many
> languages for automatic storage anyway. My worry is there could be difficulties
> in reusing the OpenCL address space model due to this.
>
> Btw can you elaborate on your implementation of constant addr space?

As SPIR-V doesn't allow casts between constant and generic pointers, SYCL
implementation doesn't use OpenCL constant address space attribute. "const"
qualified "global" address space attribute is used instead.

> > This keeps the code shared between the host and device
> > semantically-correct for both compilers: regular C++ host compiler and SYCL
> > compiler.
>
> Sorry perhaps I am not following this thought but can you explain how
> address spaces make code semantically incorrect?

It's not "address spaces" per se, but how OpenCL mode implements them.
Victor did a good job covering this question in this comment:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D80932#2073542

Example form this comment of valid C++ function, which is not valid in OpenCL
mode:

```c++
template<typename T1, typename T2>
struct is_same {
    static constexpr int value = 0;
};

template<typename T>
struct is_same<T, T> {
    static constexpr int value = 1;
};

void foo(int p) {
    static_assert(is_same<decltype(p), int>::value, "int is not an int?"); // Fails: p is '__private int' != 'int'
    static_assert(is_same<decltype(&p), int*>::value, "int* is not an int*?");  // Fails: p is '__private int*' != '__generic int*'
}
```

> > To make all pointers without an explicit address space qualifier to be
> > pointers
> > in generic address space, we updated SPIR target address space map, which
> > currently maps default pointers to "private" address space.
>
> The address space map in Clang is not specific to pointer types. How do you
> make it work for pointers only?

I don't think we did anything specific to apply this change to pointers only.
Pointers provided here as an example to demonstrate the impact of the change in
LLVM IR representation for SPIR target.

> > We made this change
> > specific to SYCL by adding SYCL environment component to the Triple to avoid
> > impact on other modes targeting SPIR target (e.g. OpenCL). We would be glad to
> > see get a feedback from the community if changing this mapping is applicable
> > for all the modes and additional specialization can be avoided (e.g.
> > [AMDGPU](https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/clang/lib/Basic/Targets/AMDGPU.cpp#L329)
> > maps default to "generic" address space with a couple of exceptions).
>
> Ok, does it mean that you map Default address space to OpenCL generic?
> Please note that Default address space is used outside of OpenCL for all
> other languages so remapping this unconditionally will have a wider impact.

Current implementation applies different mapping only when "sycldevice"
environment is set in target triple.
https://github.com/bader/llvm/pull/18/files#diff-d62fb2e1d8c597ce59fd10e018f6fb77R61

What languages do you think might be impacted if we enable this change
unconditionally? Are there modes other than OpenCL and SYCL targeting SPIR?

> > There are a few cases when CodeGen assigns non-default address space:
> >
> > 1. For declaration explicitly annotated with address space attribute
>
> This is generally how CodeGen works mapping language address spaces to target
> address spaces. Is there something different you do here for SYCL?

No.

> > 2. Variables with static storage duration and string literals are allocated in
> >  global address space unless specific address space it specified.
> > 3. Variables with automatic storage durations are allocated in private address
> >   space. It's current compiler behavior and it doesn't require additional
> >   changes.
>
> We already have this logic for OpenCL in Sema. I am not an expert in CodeGen but
> I believe its primary task is to map language constructs onto the target specific IR
> i.e. map from AST into IR. However, you are making it dial with language semantic
> instead i.e. add missing AST logic such as address space attribute. I believe there
> are good reasons to have layering architecture that separates various concerns.
> What drives your decision for moving this logic into CodeGen?

I don't think (2) deal with language semantics. I assume we both talking about
the same case when variable declaration is not explicitly annotated with address
space attribute. According to language semantics such objects are allocated in
generic address space, but the problem is that most OpenCL implementations have
problems with consuming SPIR-V files with global variables in generic address
space. As an alternative to CodeGen changes we can consider handling this issue
in SPIR-V translator tool.

> > For (2) and (3) cases, once "default" pointer to such variable is obtained, it
> > is immediately addrspacecast'ed to generic, because a user does not (and
> > should not) specify address space for pointers in source code.
>
> Can you explain why you need this cast?

This change is need to keep the types in LLVM IR consistent. Regular C++ user
code usually doesn't have address space annotations, so if memory references and
pointers are "generic". When allocation is done in named address space, we must
add address space cast to keep LLVM pointer types aligned.

> Can user not specify address spaces using
> pointer classes that map into address space attributed types i.e. ending up with
> pointer with address spaces originating from the user code?

Yes.

Feel free to join today's sync meeting at 9AM PT to have an online discussion.

Thanks,
Alexey

> SYCL compiler re-use generic support for these attributes as is and modifies
> Sema and CodeGen libraries.

Can you elaborate on your modifications in Sema and CodeGen, please?

> The main difference with OpenCL mode is that SYCL
> mode (similar to other single-source GPU programming modes like
> OpenMP/CUDA/HIP)
> keeps "default" address space for the declaration without address space
> attribute annotations.

Just FYI in C++ mode, Clang implements default/generic address space as
specified in embedded C (ISO/IEC TR 18037) s5.1 - 5.3.

"When not specified otherwise, objects are allocated by default in a generic
address space, which corresponds to the single address space of ISO/IEC
9899:1999."

"Objects are allocated in one or more address spaces. A unique generic address
space always exists. Every address space other than the generic one has a unique
name in the form of an identifier. Address spaces other than the generic one are
called named address spaces. An object is always completely allocated into at
least one address space. Unless otherwise specified, objects are allocated in
the generic address space."

It feels to me this is the model you intend to follow? If you use OpenCL address
> [...]

>   space. It's current compiler behavior and it doesn't require additional
>   changes.

We already have this logic for OpenCL in Sema. I am not an expert in CodeGen but
I believe its primary task is to map language constructs onto the target specific IR
i.e. map from AST into IR. However, you are making it dial with language semantic
instead i.e. add missing AST logic such as address space attribute. I believe there
are good reasons to have layering architecture that separates various concerns.
What drives your decision for moving this logic into CodeGen?

> For (2) and (3) cases, once "default" pointer to such variable is obtained, it
> is immediately addrspacecast'ed to generic, because a user does not (and
> should not) specify address space for pointers in source code.

Can you explain why you need this cast? Can user not specify address spaces using
pointer classes that map into address space attributed types i.e. ending up with
pointer with address spaces originating from the user code?

Cheers,
Anastasia