[cfe-dev] Debugging Clang with Visual Studio

Shachaf Co via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 14 00:00:30 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I Built Clang from source using Visual Studio in debug mode, and I'm trying
to debug it.
However, the debugger doesn't break on any breakpoint that I put.
When I put breakpoints directly using __debugbreak(), clang just crashes
with the even though the debugger is attached.

(I'm sure that this code flow actually happens, as I added some llvm::errs
to prove it)

The original Cmake command was:
cmake.exe -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS=clang -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=X86
-DLLVM_ENABLE_IDE=ON -G "Visual Studio 15 2017" -A x64 -Thost=x64
<path_to_llvm>

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there some other step that I'm missing?