[cfe-dev] [RFC] Moving (parts of) the Cling REPL in Clang

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 11 00:02:26 PDT 2020

On 7/11/20 12:58 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> [...]
>     become a separate LLVM subproject. Although I'd easily see it fit
>     in clang/tools/.
>

>       Nominally, cling has "high-energy physics"-specific features
>     such as the so called 'meta commands'. For example, `[cling] .L
>     some_file` would try to load a library called some_file.so and if
>     it does not exist, try #include-ing a header with that name;
>     `[cling] .x script.C` includes script.C and calls a function named
>     `script`. I can imagine that broader community may not like/use
>     that. If we start trimming down features like that then it won't
>     really be cling anymore. Here is what I would imagine as a way
>     forward:
>
>       1. Land as many cling/"incremental compilation"-related patches
>     as we can in clang.
>       2. Build a simple tool, let's use a strawman name -- clang-repl,
>     which only does the basics. For example, one can feed it
>     incremental C++ and execute it.
>       3. Rework cling to use that infrastructure -- ideally,
>     implementing it's specific meta commands and other domain-specific
>     features such as dynamic scopes.
>
>       We could move any of the cling features which the broader
>     community finds useful closer to clang. For the moment I am being
>     conservative as this will also give us the opportunity to rethink
>     some of the features.
>
>       The hard part is what lives where. First bullet point is clear.
>     The second -- not so much. Clang has a clang-interpreter in its
>     examples folder and it looks a little unmaintained. Maybe we can
>     start repurposing that to match 2.
>
>       As for cling itself there are some challenges we should try to
>     solve. Our community lives downstream (currently llvm-5) and a
>     straight-forward llvm upgrade + bugfixing takes around 3 months
>     due to the nature of our software stacks. It would be a
>     non-trivial task to move the cling-based development in llvm
>     upstream. My worry is that HEP-cling will soon depart from
>     LLVM-cling if we don't get both communities on the same codebase
>     (we have experienced such a problem with the getFullyQualified*
>     interfaces). I am hoping that a middleman, such as clang-repl, can
>     help. When we move parts of cling in clang we will develop and
>     test the required functionality using clang-repl. This way users
>     will enjoy cling-like experience and when cling upgrades its llvm
>     its codebase will become smaller in size.
>
>       Am I making sense?
>
> Yes, the above all makes sense to me. I agree that there should be
> only one thing named 'cling', and that it should broadly have the
> feature set that current 'cling' has. I think there are a couple of
> ways we can get there while still providing the a minimalist
> interpreter to a broader audience: either we can build a simpler
> clang-interpreter and a more advanced cling binary from a common set
> of libraries, or we could produce a configurable binary that's able to
> serve both rules depending on configuration or a plugin or scripting

   Good point. We could make it extendable, and actually that should be
a design goal. The question how exactly is not very clear to me. Can you
elaborate on what you had in mind as configuration or scripting system
(plugin system I think I know what you meant). I will give an example
with 3 distinct features in cling which we have implemented over the
years and had different requirements:

   * AST-based automatic differentiation
<https://llvm.org/devmtg/2013-11/slides/Vassilev-Poster.pdf> with the
clad library <https://github.com/vgvassilev/clad> -- here we essentially
extend cling's runtime by providing a `clad::differentiate`,
`clad::gradient`, `clad::hessian` and `clad::jacobian` primitives. Each
primitive is a specially annotated wrapper over a function, say `double
pow2(double x) { return x*x; }; auto pow2dx =
clad::differentiate(pow2,/*wrt*/0);`. Here we let clang build a valid
AST and the plugin creates the first order derivative and swaps the
DeclRefExpr just before codegen so that we call the derivative instead.
This is achievable by the current clang plugin system ( a bit
problematic on windows as clang plugins do not work there ).

   * Language extensions which require Sema support -- we have a legacy
feature which should define a variable on the prompt if not defined
(something like implicit auto) `cling[] i = 13;` should be translated
into `cling[] auto i = 13;` if I is undefined. We solve that by adding
some last resort lookup callback which marks `i` of dependent type so
that we can produce an AST which we can later 'fix'.

   * Language extensions which require delayed lookup rules (aka dynamic
scope) -- ROOT has an I/O system bound to cling people can write:`if
(TFile::Open("file_that_has_hist_cpp_obj.root")) hist->Draw();`. Here we
use the approach from the previous bullet and synthesize `if
(TFile::Open("file_that_has_hist_cpp_obj.root"))
eval<void>("hist->Draw()", /*escape some context*/...);`.

   The implementation of these three features can be considered as
possible with current clang. The issue is that it seems more like
hacking clang rather than extending it. If we can come up with a sound
way of implementing these features that would be awesome.

> One other thing I think we should consider: there will be substantial
> overlap between the incremental compilation, code generation, REPL,
> etc. of cling and that of lldb.

   I would love to hear opinions from the lldb folks. We have chatted
number of times and I have looked at how they do it. I think lldb spawns
(used to spawn last time I looked) a compiler instance per input line.
That is not acceptable for cling due to its high-performance
requirements. Most of the issues that need solving for lldb comes from
materializing debug information to AST. LLDB folks, correct me if I am
wrong.

   That being said doesn't mean that we should not aim for centralizing
the incremental compilation for both projects. We should but may be
challenging because of the different focus which defines project priorities.

> For the initial integration of cling into LLVM, there's probably not
> much we can do about that, but it would seem beneficial for both cling
> and lldb if common parts could be shared where possible. As an extreme
> example, if we could fully unify the projects to the point where a
> user could switch into an 'lldb mode' in the middle of a cling session
> to do step-by-step debugging of code entered into the REPL, that would
> seem like an incredibly useful feature. Perhaps there's some common
> set of base functionality that can be factored out of lldb and cling
> and unified. It would likely be a good idea to start talking to the
> lldb folks about that early, in case it guides your work porting cling
> to trunk.

   Indeed. There have been user requests to be able to run step-by-step
in cling. That would be the ultimate long term goal!