[cfe-dev] RFC: Replacing the default CRT allocator on Windows

Alexandre Ganea via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 2 20:56:51 PDT 2020

Thanks for the suggestion James, it reduces the commit by about ~900 MB (14,9 GB -> 14 GB).

Unfortunately it does not solve the performance problem. The heap is global to the application and thread-safe, so every malloc/free locks it, which evidently doesn’t scale. We could manually create thread-local heaps, but I didn’t want to go there. Ultimately allocated blocks need to share ownership between threads, and at that point it’s like re-writing a new allocator. I suppose most non-Windows platforms already have lock-free thread-local arenas, which probably explains why this issue has gone (mostly) unnoticed.