[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Nicolai Hähnle via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 10 05:43:01 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 2:16 AM Bill Wendling via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> How do you use [Phabricator] to keep multiple, related changes in order?

It's worth pointing out that GitHub is not able to do this properly,
either. The problem on GitHub's side is that while a pull request can
contain multiple commits, one cannot properly review those commits
individually, and it is not at all possible to approve individual
commits in a pull request. And unlike Phabricator, GitHub does not
allow you to "stack" pull requests.

When I work with a series of changes, I use Phabricator's stack like
several others here mentioned, plus the little trick of:

$ git rebase -i master -x "arc diff @^"

to update the Phabricator reviews.

I then still have to manually edit the rebase script (to remove the
arc diff @^ line for those commits that did not actually change).
However, it does work reasonably well.

Cheers,
Nicolai
--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.