[cfe-dev] -Wunused-value gets triggered only when storing/using intermediate outputs

Lubos Lunak via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 5 08:25:58 PST 2020

On Monday 30 of December 2019, Nehal J Wani via cfe-dev wrote:
> - Is this behavior expected? Why does the warning throw up only when the
> end user wants to do anything with the intermediate outputs? I ended up
> here because this was failing my project when I was trying to use distcc.

 Some of Clang's warnings, such as this one, are disabled if the code comes
from a macro expansion. This is why you see the warning only if you first
expand the code.

 If your concern is just related to distributed compiling, either build
without -Werror, or use icecc/icecream, which generally distributes the
builds without preprocessing first.

--
 Lubos Lunak