[cfe-dev] [RFC] Handling implementation limits

Mark de Wever via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 5 07:42:11 PST 2020

On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 01:52:55PM -0800, Craig Topper wrote:
> Do you plan to also support things that aren’t implementation limits but
> give warnings under -Wpedantic? For example the length of a string literal
> in LiteralSupport.cpp. It checks for something like 509 for C, 4095 for C99
> or 65536 for C++.

These are part of the limits of the standards, else they can be added to
the Non standard limits.

I added a feature to the proof-of-concept [D72053]. This makes it
possible to add remarks to a limit. For 'Characters in a string literal
(after concatenation)' I added a remark regarding -Wpedantic and allowed
3 different limits, depending whether C89, C99, or C++ is used.

[D72053] https://reviews.llvm.org/D72053

-Mark