[cfe-dev] [RFC] Handling implementation limits

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 1 09:58:45 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM Mark de Wever <koraq at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> This RFC asks the community for its interest in centralizing Clang's
> implementation limits and how you feel about the proposed approach.

Thank you for looking into this, I think something along these lines
could be valuable both for internal development purposes as well as
for our users. I'm generally supportive of the idea.

> Abstract
> ========
>
> At the moment the implementation limits of the Clang compiler are hidden
> in magic numbers in the code. These numbers sometimes differ between the
> frontend and the backend. They are not always properly guarded by compiler
> warnings, instead they trigger assertion failures.
>
> This proposal suggests a TableGen based solution to better maintain these
> limits. This solution will be able to generate a header and documentation
> of these limits. The latter is required by the C++ standard [implimits].

It's also required by the C standard where they have Implementation
Limits clauses that detail situations where the implementation may
place limits on constructs.

> The problem
>
> The proposal tries to solve 2 issues:
> * Implementation limits are not always clear and duplicated in the source.
> * Document C++ Implementation quantities  is required by the C++ standard
>   [implimits].

Do you anticipate also trying to cover the C standard implementation
limits as well? I think it would make sense to do so -- there should
be a large amount of overlap between the C limits and the C++ limits.

~Aaron