[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] MLIR for clang

Michael Kruse via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 22 18:19:51 PST 2020

Am Do., 20. Feb. 2020 um 21:04 Uhr schrieb Chris Lattner via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> I’m presenting a talk next Wednesday at CGO’20 about MLIR, and will be talking about some “how and why could clang and llvm use mlir” concepts.   I already hope to cover:
>
> -  better separation of concerns in general.
> - Make abi lowering be clang-independent
> - Share OpenMP lowering across frontends, enable better openmp optimization (e.g. constant folding and hoisting across parallel loops is trivial)
> - enabling high level optimizations (e.g. insert std::vector::reserve calls based on data flow analysis)
> - Merging the clang CFG representation into the main flow
>
> I’ll also mention some of the benefits of moving LLVM IR to MLIR - including things like multithreaded compilation, better location tracking, better modeling of invoke and other terminators, etc.
>
> If anyone has any other specific things you’d like me to mention, please let me know!  I’ll be happy to share the slides with this list after the talk.  Thanks!

If the flat CFG representation is only the first step, I'd be
interested in what what the end goal for representing
coroutines/if/while/do/for/switch statements would, especially in
combination with other statements such as
goto/continue/break/return/exceptions/destructors.

Michael