[cfe-dev] [RFC] Unified offloading option for CUDA/HIP/OpenMP

Doerfert, Johannes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 14 12:20:55 PST 2020

Hi Sam, thanks for driving this, I really like the idea!

Here are some thoughts:

Make the "kind" optional if it can be deduced, as Alexey noted. So
   -offload=amd-gfx900
should work fine if we have an -x c and -fopenmp set. Error out if
it is ambiguous.

Allow multiple -offload occurrences.

Keep the support of the old ways for now as well.

Allow to pass the kind + triple + arch as first part of the new -offload
flag and any options as a second part, so:
  -offload=hip-amd-gfx906
works but also does
  -offload="amd-gfx906 -fvectorize" -x hip
as well as
  -offload="amd -march=gfx906 -fno-vectorize" -fopenmp
This will make it way easier to use.

I hope some of these make some sense :)

~ Johannes