[cfe-dev] Changing semantics of __fp16

Richard Sandiford via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 11 03:08:06 PST 2020

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think there are really two independent aspects to the proposal:

(1) Which 16-bit float types should change behaviour?
(2) When should they change behaviour?

For (1) the choices are:

(1a) Change float16_t and __fp16 [Approach A in Sjoerd's email]
(1b) Change float16_t only [Approach B]

For (2) the choices can be divided up as:

(2a) Make the new behaviour opt-in
(2b) Make the new behaviour opt-out
(2c) Make the new behaviour unconditional

That gives 6 combinations in total.  I think the feedback so far is that (1b) + (2c) is preferable to (1a) + (2c), which is just the kind of thing we were hoping for from this thread, thanks.  In addition to that, do you have any thoughts about the other 4 combinations?

Personally I was wary of (1b) because, as you say, it changes a typedef provided by the ACLE.  This is an ABI break, in the sense that it changes the mangling of a C++ function (F) that takes float16_t arguments.  Definitions of F compiled before the change won't link against uses of F compiled after the change, and definitions of F compiled after the change won't link against uses of F compiled before the change.

>From that point of view, (2a) seems like the most conservative option: existing binaries remain link-compatible with new binaries, and existing float16_t and __fp16 code keep their current behaviour.  Other targets that have adopted __fp16 remain unaffected.

(1a) + (2b) is less conservative: existing binaries remain link-compatible with new binaries, but projects that rely on the existing float16_t and __fp16 behaviour would need to be adjusted for newer compilers.  Perhaps there's a weak analogy here with bumping the default -std= option.

This is only a high-level classification.  The opt-ins or opt-outs could be controlled in various ways.  Possibilities include:

  *   a new command-line option
  *   a new pragma (for (1a))
  *   a special macro that needs to be defined before including the ACLE header files (for (1b))

The defaults could depend on the target, if that seemed preferable.

When compiling a function F that uses float16_t (perhaps internally), the float16_t semantics effectively become a property of F's definition.  Mixing a definition of F with the old float16_t semantics and a definition of F with new float16_t semantics would break the One Definition Rule.  (2a) and (2b) make it easier to avoid ODR violations, (2c) would effectively force the user to recompile affected .os.

Thanks, and sorry for the long email.

Richard