[cfe-dev] Proposed changes to vectorize_width #pragma

David Sherwood via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 04:49:01 PST 2020

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the suggestion. With regards to possible use cases of a vectorize_style(any)
pragma my thoughts are:

1. Any existing tests that currently use vectorize_width(#number) were presumably
written with fixed width vectorisation in mind. So it makes sense in those cases
for the default to be fixed width. If the user wants to go back and fix them to explicitly
use scalable vectorisation they can just add vectorize_width(#number, scalable). We
feel that specifying the numeric part of the vectorisation factor without also considering
if the factor is fixed-length or scalable is not a realistic/real world use case. I imagine
that best results will be obtained by letting the vectoriser choose the best pair, i.e.
vectorize_width(4, fixed) or vectorize_width(8, scalable).
2. However, if the user wants the compiler to choose the best option (fixed or scalable)
then we already have a route for that with vectorize(enable). Similarly when compiling
at -O2 or above the compiler will choose the most profitable option.

Kind Regards,
David.