[cfe-dev] std::pair not trivially copyable?

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 08:29:21 PDT 2020

Once upon a time, C++ said that POD types could be memcpy'd, even if they were used as base classes. That rule got changed retroactively by core language defect reports, and you're no longer allowed to memcpy base class subobjects (nor [[no_unique_address]] members), but too late for the ABI, so as a consequence of a rule that we're now pretending never existed, the Itanium ABI is careful not to reuse the tail padding of a base class for members of the derived class if the base class is "POD for the purpose of layout" (which means POD according to some specific old C++ standard version).

As an aside, I believe PS4 got caught by something along these lines; some combination of (the rule changed) and (Clang had a bug) was in an unfortunate state right at the time we had to nail down our ABI.  We’ve never gotten up the gumption to post a patch upstream, though.

IIUC (which is not super likely but I’ll give it a shot), pair is never trivially copyable, even with trivially copyable members.  Which seems sad.  Both pair and tuple have rules that say the destructor is trivial if the members are trivially destructible; seems like an oversight not to make triviality just as transitive for construct/move/copy.  Unless that ABI/tail-padding thing is what gets in the way.
--paulr